Only a major panic!!

Housten 17:13 04 Mar 11

Hi all,

Please help!!! I don't know what I have done wrong but obviously it is something serious. I have installed the Tuneup from the latest mag on my desktop and I have been trying to install it on my wife's laptop. It didn't seem to install/work properly so I decided to uninstall it, but when I did so the taskbar and all the stuff at the bottom of the screen has disappeared including the 'Start' button and all the other icons, so I am not sure I can even do a system restore!! Before the wife tries to kill me can someone please tell me how to get back all the icons - including ( I have just suddenly realised ) the ones that are on the screen!!!

Any help/information will be very gratefully received!

woodchip 17:18 04 Mar 11

Start PC tapping F5 as it starts, this should get you into Safe Mode from there you can do a restore

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 04 Mar 11

Press Ctrl Alt Del
In task manager - File - New Task - type explorer - press OK

This should restore all your Icons
then do a system restore to before you install tuneup

Housten 17:51 04 Mar 11

woodchip,

Many thanks!! I managed to find, eventually, system rstore and it workrd stright off. I am now doing a 'windows update' - 120.8MB!!!!! - so it will be unusable for a little while, but it is usable otherwise. Once again many, many thanks!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\,
I tried Ctrl Alt Del and there was nothing there, but what I didn't realise was that I had to type something in - and I wouldn't have known what to type in. However I will make a note of your suggestion and keep it handy in case I do whatever I did again!!! Many thanks.

I have marked issue as 'Resolved'.

woodchip 18:02 04 Mar 11

Glad to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…