Is this only a link?

Diemmess 16:05 16 Nov 04

This is a parallel thread and concerns only a detail.

This is the target string to an unwanted shortcut on the desktop of a family computer. I have shoved in some spaces to avoid it becoming a link in this post.

"C:\Program Files\lnternet Explorer \ lEXPLORE. EXE" http: // www .prrnvvuogpxrkwnjix. ukANzMOT4pBLghribOluKno/ggtGAwU/G/FimR3d9Niz3AvGO87M8uib5ZU6nT4sNC3EAH VujIDV21 MMt49TIE8fOrQgLAynX8l.cgi

I now think it is only a link and deleting the shortcut should get rid of it all?

TomJerry 16:08 16 Nov 04

get free Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here to get ride them properly.

It will come back if you only delete the link

fredski 16:33 16 Nov 04

No Diemmess,it is not just a link and probably will not allow you to delete. It also disables diskcleaner. It also hides in inetrnet temp folder.
If Lavasoft fails, try Spy Sweeper click here

fredski 16:34 16 Nov 04

No Diemmess,it is not just a link and probably will not allow you to delete. It also disables diskcleaner. It also hides in inetrnet temp folder.
If Lavasoft fails, try Spy Sweeper click here

Diemmess 16:47 16 Nov 04

Just one point (showing my ignorance) This is a computer mess. Trying sort it for family.

They didn't have Spybot, AdAware should be there in the background like ZoneAlarm? (they didn't have that either).

Do I keep all three on that computer or which would you keep?

fredski 16:49 16 Nov 04

You lot me there. What do you mean? can you explain?

Cook2 16:50 16 Nov 04

Get Spywareblaster too. click here

Cook2 16:51 16 Nov 04

and keep the others.

TomJerry 17:03 16 Nov 04

they do almost as good job as other paid product.

You may also need to check virus as well.

Diemmess 17:13 16 Nov 04

An earlier thread now well down the list "clearing a mess and unwanted links"........led to this simpler post.

When I saw this computer earlier today it had only AVG for protection, no virus found.

I ran CClean and then installed Spybot and ran that. Spybot fixed about a dozen items.

There still remains Mysearch and 6 shortcuts to other sites including another version of IE (maybe connected with MySearch)

I have assembled a CD of recommended tools -AdAware, SpyBot, CW shredder, Spyblaster, and Zone Alarm (which might have prevented all this nonsense).

Quite simply, which of these worthy cleaner/preventers would you install on tomorrows trip to save the computer, (and my reputation in the family)?

fredski 17:30 16 Nov 04

Zone Alarm is a firewall and might not nesserily detect spyware. the rest do a good job but spy sweaper will always alart you to attempts at registry changes and changes to brouser setting among other things

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…