Only internal speaker working (faintly)

Charlie Babbage 16:13 21 May 06

I'm only getting faint sound from my internal speaker despite checking that volume is set to max for both rt and left channels?

At the back of my desktop running Windows XP Professional, I have two different plugs for sound and don't understand the difference (if any!) The first is colour coded green which I think, is line output because it is next to a plug colour coded pink which is line input for a microphone. The external speakers still wont work if their plug (colour orange)is inserted into either the line input or the line output.

There are then two other plugs, each with a musical note symbol, one with an arrow pointing right (output?) and the other with an arrow pointing left (input?). If I plug the external speaker plug into the output hole, the internal speaker stops working but the external speaker still does not work

I've looked in device manager but there does not seem to be any system conflict. ANy advice as to how to get the external speakers to work will be appreciated.

Diversion 16:23 21 May 06

Have you tried re-installing the drivers for the sound?

RicScott 16:30 21 May 06

Try plugging the speakers into an MP3 player or TV to test the speakers first off.

If you get sound from them...then the speakers are definately working.

The green is the Sound output on the PC -

Click start > Control Panel > (Switch to Classic View if you only have around 10 icons on the screen) Open Sound and Audio Devices > Make sure that the Volume slider is over to the right (Max)> Click on Audio > Volume > Make sure that all the sliders are up to the top and that nothing is muted at the bottom.

If still no sound.

Close the Audio Properties box so you are back to the control Panel..Click to open SYSTEM.
Click on Hardware > Device Manager > Expand the 'Sound video and games controllers' [+] > Right click on the Audio Card,(possibly an AC'97, Realtek or something similar, If you get stuck, repost with the contents of the tree) > Choose Uninstall > Click [OK] to the warning.

Once the Device manager has refreshed, Close the device manager [X], Close the Control panel and restart the PC. Wait for the 'Found new Hardware' to pop up near the clock (Bottom right hand side of the screen), then try to play something.

If still nothing..New soundcard might on order.
In a worse case senario, try reinstalling the XP pro, running a quick format on the setup.

Hope this helps.

Stowit 16:40 21 May 06

The speakers should go in the green socket on the PC (line out). Check all the connections & sometimes a reboot ensures the drivers are loaded. Are they 'powered' speakers? & do they work - say on a 'walkman'. If so as Diversion suggests look to your drivers. If no joy try a different sound card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…