Only half of 2nd HDD recognised

Head shaver 15:41 22 May 04

Can any of you persons out there help me. I'm upgrading to windows xp, and decided to zap my two hard drives which are partitioned as C, D. E,and F using FDISK, but the pc only has my second hard drive down as 8GB, as it should be 20GB. Any solutions, Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 15:55 22 May 04

Have you XP installed now?

If so, right click on "my computer" and choose manage and then "disk management" and from there you can check the disk, format it and partition it.

Head shaver 14:09 14 Jun 04

Diodoro Siculus,Sorry about the delay in replying, i have been on holiday. My son carried on with loading the operating system and loaded Windows ME, but the 2nd hard drive is still showing 8mb instead of 20. Should i reverse the hard drives and make the 20gb the master and then reformat. Thanks.

Fruit Bat 15:45 14 Jun 04

How old is the PC? some old BIOS will only show upto 8G However if one drive is shown as 20G this is probably not the problem but check in BIOS as to what is detected a change there could solve this.

/\0/\

Head shaver 13:30 15 Jun 04

Thanks for the responding fruit Bat, the pc is 1998 packard bell model. I will try what you suggest, i am not internet connected at home so i will get back to you as soon as poss, thanks.

Head shaver 13:41 16 Jun 04

Hi fruit bat! I looked in the Bios and it is set to auto and shows the the drive as 20MB and not GB. I had a word with my son and he told me that the hard drive showed 20GB when it was first installed,and also when it was partitioned. Do you think the problem could be unpartitioning the drive the wrong way round? As my son pointed out, the problem has only manifested itself since i done the unpartitioning. i have reversed the drives in the system and made the 20GB drive the master, but the problem is still there. Do you think by taking it to another machine it will resolve the problem? Thanks.

Head shaver 15:14 18 Jun 04

I have resolved my problem but i am not so sure it was the conventional way. hear is the scenario. I took the hard drive to another pc and formatted it using the fdisk utility (had to be shown) but when i got the hard drive back into my machine i booted to the A drive and typed in fdisk, at this point it got very confusing because the drive showed up as 8gb and 20gb. At fist i booted with cd rom support and the drive came out the same, but on the second run, i decided to boot without cd rom support and low and behold, there was my 20gb hard drive back to normal (this took about four hours as i found the fdisk utility daunting). anyway thanks to diodorus siculus and fruit bat for your response.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 18 Jun 04

glad youv'e sorted it

/\0/\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac