Only around 50% of hard drive is recognised

**nada** 21:44 01 Jan 06

I have been recentley trying to switch over to a Seagate 300Gb hard drive. The BIOS seems to recognise all 300Gb of it fine but whenever I go to partition/format it with all the pieces of software I've tried, I think it's only about 137Gb that are recognised. I have tried using the 'Ultimate Boot CD' with a few of the programs on that, the Windows Xp CD and finally partition magic in windows.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 01 Jan 06

(start > run > regedit <enter>) and go to the following folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters there add a new key named "EnableBigLba" , type: "REG_DWORD" and "value 1" (excluding the quotes (")) now restart and your windows will see the true size

GuZ><0r 22:00 01 Jan 06

I am guessing you are using XP and if so which version as in Sp1/2 etc etc.

The reason for this is that the first XP with out SP2 was only able to read up to 130gb on a hrad drive no matter how big it was.

**nada** 22:35 01 Jan 06

Ah OK, I think it is still on SP1, but I don't really fancy going to SP2 in case it causes any problems which updates like these have done before. So I'll stick with any other resolutions if possible.
Fruitbat, can you make it a bit clearer as I am not particularly familiar with changing the registry. I tried what you said but it didn't work. I added I think it's a 'key' which looked like a folder inside parameters. But then was unsure what to do exactly?
Thanks

GuZ><0r 23:08 01 Jan 06

If I were you **nada** I would get SP2. My computer is fine with it, and it does fill alot of holes in XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:55 01 Jan 06

In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:58 01 Jan 06

PS should NOTbe a "folder" under parameters but a new value, blue icon I think.

DieSse 00:53 02 Jan 06

You really do need to go to SP2 - it has many essential security updates, and many since SP2 also. It's very stable, and I would strongly urge you to install it.

Howvere, for safety, still make a backup first.

jimv7 09:56 02 Jan 06

To add to Fruit Bat /\0/\'s post, before you do anything in the registry, on opening the registry, open file / export the registry as a backup first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…