Online virus checkers, safe????

MidgetMan 17:51 02 Feb 04

With all the current hysteria going around about the my-doom virus a Friend of mine asked if it is safe to use one of the online virus checker sites (trend micro).
His concern was that when he went to the site to use it he had to disable his firewall, and then to his horror? he could see the entire contents of his harddrive. Panicking abit he closed the site, but his question did get me thinking.

Most of us spend a lot of time/money/effort in keeping prying eyes away from our pc's and then, it would appear, quite happily open our pc up to a complete unknown so that we can scan for a virus!!.

I did try to explain that, yes, obviously he would see his contents displayed otherwise how could it do the scan, but he now remains firmly convinced that it is another way that someone can access his pc (with his help).

Thoughts??

obbit 17:59 02 Feb 04

click here

it is safe

MidgetMan 18:03 02 Feb 04

Aagh, but is it, just because symantic say it it is??, how do we know?

obbit 18:04 02 Feb 04

what could be the problem?

holly polly 18:08 02 Feb 04

seems someone is a little paranoid or is it you dont want people nosing about inside your comp fine you do not have to do a online scan do you?-hol pol....

anchor 18:18 02 Feb 04

I use Housecall, (Trend Micro), and never have to disable my Zone Alarm Pro.

In fact, I am doing a scan at this moment with the Firewall active.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:20 02 Feb 04

Copy thye following and paste it into your address bar in explorer.... C:

It is an old trick ;-)))

G

Gemma 18:46 02 Feb 04

Gandalf, depending on the audience that could almost be a tad wicked!

Gaz 25 19:23 02 Feb 04

Of course, the virus scanner installs an active X control. And he MUST have clicked a YES button to install it.

This allows the virus scanner to scan your files for viruses.

It is perfectly safe, the companies only take the viruses from your system, and they DO NOT snoop at your files at all.

R4 19:25 02 Feb 04

<< Aagh, but is it, just because symantic say it it is??, how do we know? >>

Have used it :: and did not disable my firewall or Antivirus, it still found an infected file that my own Virus checker had not found.

Terrahawk 20:44 02 Feb 04

have used both trend micro housecall and symantec at various times never had to disable a firewall with either of them.On the trust side i would have no qualms recommending either as an emergency measure which is what they are designed for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…