Online Gaming with Wireless Broadband

Baron of Basingstoke 13:18 22 Apr 04

Has anybody out there managed to get online / multiplayer gaming working with wireless broadband?
Although the provider (click here) say that they don't support online gaming due to latency, I was expecting this would mean a slight lag in gameplay. At the moment I'm not even able to connect to games servers.
Can anybody help?

Lozzy 13:25 22 Apr 04

Do you have a firewall installed?? If yes try adding the web site to the allowed list.

Baron of Basingstoke 15:05 23 Apr 04

I have both a software firewall (Zonealarm Pro) and the hardware firewall built into my router (a Netgear WGR614).

I bypassed the router just in case it was that, and I've configured Zonealarm as required (I think). Still no joy though.

I've tried it using my old dial-up connection and that works through Zonealarm, so I guess firewall isn't the problem.

My best guess now is that the latency on the connection is so bad that some kind of timeout triggers and the connection cannot be established/maintained.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…