Online Fraud

speedy spider 00:55 21 Sep 04

My credit card details have been obtained and used in an attempt to buy goods. I think the card details must have been stolen online. The thing is that I run a constantly updated anti-virus program, a good firewall (not Windows own), Ad-aware, Spybot S&D as well as Spyblaster, and none of these can detect anything on my PC. I keep all these programs bang up to date yet something has got through my defences. What do I do to remove whatever is causing the problem and how can I prevent a re-occurence?

pc moron 01:26 21 Sep 04

I doubt you've been hacked.

If the site you purchased the goods from was secure (HTTPS:/), your details would have been encrypted before they left your PC.

It's more likely that a dishonest employee has used your details to make a purchase.

When you purchase online you give the trader all the necessary information required to make the purchase, name, address, card number etc.

It would be easey for anybody with access to All of your details to impersonate you and make a purchase in your name.

Simon_P 01:52 21 Sep 04

This can also happen and maybe just as likely when you make a purchase over the phone, as you have to give all details that way too.

This happened to me to the tune of almost a grand! They managed to get delivery to another address (an empty house)

You can claim your money back from the CC company.

speedy spider 01:53 21 Sep 04

PC Moron, Thanks for your reassurances but I do still wonder if a keylogger program or similar has infiltrated my PC. Is there a way to tell?

PC Moron, Thanks for your reassurances but I do still wonder if a keylogger program or similar has infiltrated my PC. Is there a way to tell?

pc moron 02:16 21 Sep 04

As far as I know, any trojan key logger that's got onto your PC from the internet will be detected by the programs you name above- these utilities should keep you safe from almost all of the current threats.

There are key loggers you can purchase and install on a PC, but you MUST have access to the PC itself to install it.

These programs hide themselves very well and most won't show up in either Task Manager or by using the various programs you've mentioned above.

speedy spider 23:57 21 Sep 04

PC Moron Thanks again for your info re key loggers. You should change your name - you're clearly not a PC Moron.

kimjhon 05:31 22 Sep 04

Take a look at the keyboard cable to see if there is a hardware keylogger.

watchful 08:41 22 Sep 04

My daughter had the same experience recently but the bank reimbursed her and she has a new card now. The Police seem to think that her details were stolen by someone at a filling station and on checking their receipts (our petrol station) we noticed that they are the only ones who print all the card details out. No-one else that we deal with, supermarkets etc. show all the numbers, some are always blocked, so there is also the possibility of dustbins being raided. Stolen identity is on the increase. Buy a shredder.

no-name 09:18 22 Sep 04

speedy spider like watchful, I was told by my CC co. that the most likely source was a petrol station when someone tried to charge my CC account from the USA. Apparently some unscrupulous employees 'sell on' your CC details.

Try scanning with Kaspersky from click here which finds what others don't.

You can scan on a free trial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…