Ongoing saga of Windows 7 clean installation

exdragon 19:44 PM 10 Jun 12

Will this never end! I'm now trying to install Windows XP mode as I have a prog. which won't run properly in 7.

In the BIOS, the Hardware Assisted Visualization option is enabled, but when I select All programs>Windows Virtual PC>Windows XP mode, I keep getting told the option isn't enabled.

I've downloaded all Win 7 updates apart from SP1 - I've tried half a dozen times but to no avail. Please can someone put me out of my misery?

Thanks (hopefully).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 PM 10 Jun 12

Not in w7 home

think its only in premium

rdave13 20:56 PM 10 Jun 12

If it's available then you have professional or upwards. Type CMD in the search box, in the list right click CMD and run as admin. Type sfc/scannow and let it run. If it shows a problem not resolved then run again. See if that helps.

Sounds as you've got a bad installation or a unstable bios, like mine, but that's another story.

exdragon 20:56 PM 10 Jun 12

It's 7 Professional - should have said.

Tried following MS fixes, still no joy. It reports no problems with Windows Update. Unplugged the PC, rebooted, you name it, I think I've done it. The annoying thing is that the prog I'm trying to run was listed in the upgrade advisor report as being compatible. I'll keep on trying.

bionicle 20:57 PM 10 Jun 12
  bionicle 20:58 PM 10 Jun 12

Sorry just saw professional

robin_x 22:07 PM 10 Jun 12

The lesser XP Compatibility Mode is available in the prog.exe Properties. (Compatibility tab).

Might be sufficient unless you already tried.

Don't know about your Full XP Mode problem though.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites