one way traffic

chapeau 17:35 14 Feb 07

I have been trying with limited success to network my laptop (client) to my DT machine (host). Both run XP Home SP2 which are fully updated and have adequate space and resorces, The setup has run OK and ping tests from either end give correct results. The link is a standard eithernet cross connected cable.
Internet Connection sharing has been set up, and to a limited set works, I can connect to the web, change sites and pages, but when I try to log-in to anything ie web mail, or toan account ie ebay, the process stalls halfway through and just shows a continuing download. On the mail front I can send mail, but can't collect any. This is the same whether I am using Internet explorer etc, or Firefox etc.
The setting for accounts etc are identical on the two macines and thehost machine works correctly.
Two questions 1. aAny help sorting this out much appreciated. and 2. Whilst I can disable the network at either end I can find no way of completely removong it so I can make a clean start, any help here appreciated.

STREETWORK 17:44 14 Feb 07

This looks like the firewall you are using is blocking incoming traffic. What firewall are you using and what router?

uesquebeathus 17:45 14 Feb 07

My best guess is that the confusion of ip addresses is causing problems with the security checks from the web sites. why do you not put in a small router and resolve the crossover ethernet wiring and would also speed up each connection, it would also provide firewall protection if you pick the right router.

chapeau 19:00 14 Feb 07

Re firewall I am using the MS firewall on the host desktop, the laptop has Ms firewall, but it is switched off I was told to do this by someone to avoid problems. The desktop also has Zone Alarm on it but this is also switched off.
I take the point about the router but am not sure how I would cope with setting one up. It sounds awesome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…