One-Way Network?

Granger 11:45 04 Jun 03

My PC/laptop network has gone weird. The client laptop can access the PC's internet connection and all shared files. But the host PC cannot access the laptop's files. I get "...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource...Access is denied".

This network has been working fine for a while, and suddenly didn't work when I got home yesterday. The only thing I'd changed was I'd added an IMAP email account to Outlook on the laptop. I deleted this and the problem went away until I restarted the laptop. I've disabled firewalls. All relevant folders are shared. ICS is still working. IP settings don't seem to have changed. What else can I check?

Granger 12:15 04 Jun 03

More on this - the host PC can ping the laptop successfully. The laptop's folders have sharing enabled and allow other users to change files. The laptop's folders appear in the My Network Places list on the host PC, but if I click on one I get the error above.

recap 12:26 04 Jun 03

"I get "...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource...Access is denied. The laptop's folders appear in the My Network Places list on the host PC, but if I click on one I get the error above"

This could be a username + password problem. Check both the network and IMAP email account username + password. This is if you have those implemented. I would use the same details for both accounts.

Granger 12:43 04 Jun 03

I've deleted the IMAP account from Outlook, but Outlook still thinks there are 2 sets of contacts, so maybe there is something affecting the network.

But I have no username/password for the network, it should be free access to both computers. Can you explain a bit more about this?

recap 17:24 04 Jun 03

The IMAP account that you set up, it would be preferable that you use the same username and password that you use for your email account. This way IMAP should not then go looking for another account that does not exist.

Granger 18:05 04 Jun 03

Thanks for getting back again recap, but I still don't understand. I've deleted this IMAP account, along with the PST file. There is now no trace that I can see of this account.

When I had it, the IMAP account WAS an email account! But I've deleted it. I have my normal POP email account, but I wouldn't be able to give the 2 accounts the same username/password.

Why would IMAP go looking for anything if I've deleted the account from Outlook??? What effects would this IMAP account have had in the local network? Why would it still affect me after I've deleted the account?

I don't really understand what IMAP is. Aaarrrggghhhh!

Granger 22:16 04 Jun 03

Please - I still need help on this. Why would I be able to view folders on system A from system B, but not the other way? If it has anything to do with IMAP, what should I do to eradicate the effects of IMAP on the network?

recap 09:04 05 Jun 03

IMAP to my understanding is a web based email account.

You don't say what O/S you are using I'll work on the assumption that it is XP. If this is the case then check the share permission on both machines. You could also set up IPX on both machines, with IPX you do not need a username and password as you do with TCP/IP.

Granger 09:55 05 Jun 03

Hi again recap. How do I check share permissions? Please bear in mind that I don't need an IMAP account on either machine. I've never heard of IPX!

WinXP Pro SP1 (and the rest!), also using Outlook XP. Same on both machines.

Granger 18:32 05 Jun 03

Hups-a-daisy.

recap 19:57 05 Jun 03

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier Granger but I've been in meetings all day.

IPX is a protocol like TCP/IP that you have most probably used to set up your network. The difference is that IPX is for small networks not generally used because TCP/IP address is the most recognised of the protocols.

I assume that you used the XP networking wizard to set up your network, in which case the protocol should be TCP/IP. Your main PC's IP address may look like the following: 192.168.10.1 then the other/s will have an IP addess of the following: 192.168.10.2, 192.168.10.3 and so on. Once all machines have been assigned an IP address and you have shares created then all should then see each other.

Right click Network Neighborhood select Properties then TCP/IP, you should then select the IP tab. This will give you the IP address of your machine. If all your machines have an IP address assigned to them then try pinging the machines both ways. To do this open a Command Prompt and type the following ping 192.168.10.x

The x is the last octet of the machines IP address that you are trying to ping. Change this x to the relavant machines number.

If all machines can ping/see each other then all should be well. If they cannot then post back and we'll try some other approach.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…