one way network

brj 17:17 05 Mar 05

My network comprises two XP home SP2 computers linked through Netgear FS105 switch. Both can access network printer, computer 1 can access computer 2, computer 2 can see computer 1 but all files are locked and inaccessable. Both XP firewalls enabled, both My Documents set to share, both computers running AVG free antivirus. Network used to work fine, fault developed for no aparent reason. Help.

spikeychris 18:29 05 Mar 05

Disable both the firewalls and try again. "all files are locked and inaccessable" What error message are you receiving?

brj 11:34 06 Mar 05

Tried that thanks -no effect. Error message states: "\\Mv\my documents is not accessible. Not enough server storage to process command". It is a peer to peer Windows network. Both computers have 512 MB RAM and large hard disks with plenty of space. One computer has a Netgear card, the other a 3Com, but the netwiork functioned perfectly far many months.

Forum Editor 13:01 06 Mar 05

in connection with Norton Anti-virus software, but I see you have AVG on your systems.

How do you feel about a bit of registry editing? If you're confident about altering and creating registry entries I might be able to offer a solution, but I'm always reticent about doing so in the forum in case someone gets into difficulties.

brj 14:38 06 Mar 05

I had Systemworks on both compters with the antivirus element disabled. I have now uninstalled systemworks 2002 from one computer and the antivirus component of 2004 from the other. Still the same message. I will try regedit if necessary, but on which computer?

spikeychris 15:17 06 Mar 05
  brj 16:01 06 Mar 05

Many thanks. I will give it a try.
Regards
Mark

spikeychris 16:03 06 Mar 05

FE can now be guilt free.

brj 16:39 06 Mar 05

Magic! I did not realise how simple editing the registry would be. Many, many thanks.

LastChip 17:32 06 Mar 05

I've been following this thread as it is of interest to me, but I would urge a small warning.

Don't run away with the idea editing the registry is child's play. If it goes wrong, it often goes wrong big time, and you'll need an in-depth knowledge to sort out the repercussions.

I've lost count of the number of times a complete re-install has been necessary here, because of registry edits. Our FE had every right to be cautious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…