One USB port wont recognise optical mouse

Taff36 10:40 12 Mar 04

I have a Compaq Evo laptop with two USB ports. I connect a Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse to it via a receiver attached to one of the USB ports. One works fine but when connected to the other although the keyboard works the mouse doesnt. Swapping them over cures the problem but what`s causing it? (Have I got a duff port or can it be explained & cured)

All suggestions welcome!

Big Elf 11:03 12 Mar 04

I've just had a look at the settings for the USB ports on my laptop and it says 500MA is the power required and each has 10% bandwidth reserved. Maybe the power isn't being supplied to the other port?

Taff36 11:26 12 Mar 04

The strange thing is though that the keyboard works but not the mouse.

Where do I look for my USB port settings in XP Pro? It might give me a clue.

Big Elf 11:27 12 Mar 04

Go into Device Manager then double click on each port and click the 'Power' tab

Taff36 12:46 12 Mar 04

Thanks for that. Yes my setup is similar and the receiver takes 98 Ma. Now get this:

I unplugged the receiver and put it into the other USB port. Immediately device manager threw up a yellow triangle alert on the human interface device (Mouse only) and XP ballooned "New hardware found". The hardware wizard gave an error message something like "Install new hardware failed because the INF file was written for Win 95 or Later" ?????

A reboot didn`t cure the problem but moving the mouse back to the other port did.

Reinstalling the software for the device whilst it is in the "wrong" port actually works but this disables the other port again. A full circle.

What does anyone think?

anon1 13:05 12 Mar 04

Put the items in the ports that work and be done with it

Taff36 13:28 12 Mar 04

Blindingly obvious and that`s what I`m doing now.

I am just curious as to what has caused this and whether I will have problems using both ports simultaneously.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…