One for techies out there.

teepee33 17:22 22 Oct 03

My explorer.exe in XP PRO sp1 kept crashing and restarting, a real pain. I have now stuck on W2K with SP4 and it is rock solid. Could I replace the explorer.exe in XP PRO with the one from W2K? is this a possibility? would it work?
I like the GUI better in XP
My rig is
AMD XP 2000
gigabyte m/b cant recall which model
640 mb ddr2100
geforece mx440 graffix
in advance

spikeychris 17:38 22 Oct 03

Well you can certainly copy explorer.exe from 2K to 2K but I wouldn't recommend copying to XP. XP uses the integrated software slightly differently.

What errors were you getting?

Jester2K II 17:38 22 Oct 03

Nope. Theres more to an operating system than explorer.exe.....

You'd be better trying to solve the problems with XP Pro.

Try asking us.....

teepee33 15:15 23 Oct 03

It just seemed to politely explain that it had encountered an error and needs to restart when doing trivial mundane things like trying to close a dialogue box. Upon the restart, a lot of icons in task bar would disappear even though apps were still running. Perhaps it is just "fragile".
If nothing else thanks for input.

Nellie2 17:31 23 Oct 03

stick with it... you have two of the most knowledgeable people I have come across trying to give you a hand here.

Is your error log giving you any clues???

spikeychris 18:41 23 Oct 03

Nellie2, you little charmer :o)

First thing first, you need to stop the auto-re-boot, its useless.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK. The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information and post it here.

Taran 19:48 23 Oct 03

Open up your Control Panel, double click the icon called Administrative tools (you might have to enable classic view to see this option) then double click the Administrative Tools icon and finally double click the Event Viewer shortcut.

In the left panel click on Application and on System one at a time and all log entries will be displayed for the item you selected in the right half of the screen.

Look for any entry listed as Error or Warning and double click on it for full details.

teepee33 07:50 24 Oct 03

cheers me dears

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…