Is this one for Taran?

drab 12:02 02 Jan 03
  drab 12:02 02 Jan 03

Ihave 3 old compaq deskpro 575 computers,which have pentium 75 cpu,s in them and absolutely everything on board(sound,network etc)
Are they good enough to link together in anetwork and plug into broadband to let a few (literally)old friends try the web.Please help.

recap 12:13 02 Jan 03

drab, if all the system specifications are right for the BB connection and networking then you should be able to get away with it (just). The more systems you string together on lower spec machines the slower the network will run, with these it may even grind to a hault.

drab 12:21 02 Jan 03

Could i use my own pc as a server (xp1700)or is the system only as good as the weakest link.(hate that woman).

recap 12:29 02 Jan 03

You could use your system drab it would be better for the network overall.

;-) (that woman) lol

Taran 12:30 02 Jan 03

Sorry but, the spec is far too low to handle broadband without some pretty fiddly jiggery pokery.

I think your idea about using a more powerful system as a server could have benefits (and problems), but most bb suppliers list a P133 to P200 as a minimum with 64mb of memory.

The networking side is simple enough, but its all down to how you control outgoing traffic requests and incoming traffic feeds. It can certainly be done, but I'm a little dubious about the benefits in relation to the work involved.

siarad 12:31 02 Jan 03

If the Telco lets you, connect each thro' a broadband switch which for safety should contain a firewall, much safer then a personal software one

drab 12:50 02 Jan 03

Thanks for all the info,but i think i am gettin in too deep.the wrinklies will have to share this machine,which shouldnt be too much of a problem as they all run to the coffee table when i get the bikkies out.Lov efrom Spain,where the temperature is a pleasant 17 degrees with sun.It should be warmer tommorow.luv steve

drab 12:53 02 Jan 03

Where on earth did that coffee link come from?

DieSse 14:13 02 Jan 03

Where in Spain, drab - I'm on the Costa Blanca.

drab 14:48 02 Jan 03

Costa del sol,near Estepona

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…