One stereo PC speaker a lot quieter than t'other

Halmer 21:47 25 Aug 08

When listening to music on my XP PC I noticed tonight that the right speaker is barely audible in comparison. This happens whilst listening to say a video clip off the BBC site as well.

I've checked the speakers by changing them around - the quietness follows the cable so it is not a dodgy speaker.

Checked the Realtek settings and downloaded the latest drivers without success/improvement.

Assuming that this is not normal has anyone got any suggestions please? The speakers are Creative with their own power supply.

chub_tor 22:06 25 Aug 08

It must be the balance setting. In Vista go to Control Panel, Sound, Manage Audio Devices, Speakers, Properties, Levels, Balance. In XP you will find it in Control Panel, Sound I think.

Halmer 22:07 25 Aug 08

twiddled with the wire from the back of the PC to the boom box thing and the speaker came to life. If I pull it out slightly they both work fine.

Halmer 22:10 25 Aug 08

mono now.

Halmer 22:33 25 Aug 08

What has happened is that the cable entering the boom box from the PC has been bent over as it presses against the wall.

Kids' feet under the desk kicking and pushing the box haven't helped in hindsight.

This has damaged the thin cable internally I guess. Managed to find an old saved one in a drawer and it works in stereo now thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…