One sided speaker & headset earphone sound loss

Cmdr Vimes 17:14 24 Oct 09

This seems a bit unusual to me. I've got Altec Lansing mini speakers with a sub-woofer thing which gives great sound for gaming, music and so on.

Recently, the left designated speaker just stopped audio output. I've checked all the wires and all that and can find nothing untoward. I assumed that as the speakers are bit on the old side that was the problem. Time for some new ones. The output from the other (right) speaker is fine. I've just noticed that if I'm wearing a headset (Creative HS-900) that I'm not getting audio output in the right earphone, which has worked fine in the past.

I've got no idea if these things are connected and if so, how to go about figuring it out. I'd be grateful for an ideas or suggestions anybody may have. Thanks.

howard64 17:42 24 Oct 09

right click on the volume icon near the clock and open the sound properties. If not showing get to sound system via the control panel. You might find that one of the options has moved completely to one side. If not you may have to reinstall the sound driver that came with either your motherboard or sound card. If it is a separate sound card it may have slightly moved in the pci slot which would mean opening the case and lifting the sound card out and then putting it back in again.

Cmdr Vimes 18:34 24 Oct 09

Thanks for that. The sound property options were all fine. Fiddling with them didn't make any difference.

I'm going to check the sound card pci slot next. After that it'll be sound card drivers.

Cmdr Vimes 19:28 24 Oct 09

I've checked the inside of my pc and there doesn't really appear to be separate sound card. I've checked the graphics card and air dusted inside, but its made no difference.

I'm not actually sure how to sort out the sound drivers. I've got a compaq presario SR1000 with an amd64 chip set. Any ideas?

Stuartli 00:14 25 Oct 09

It could be a balance control has been inadvertently altered, perhaps from the Volume Control icon or another sound output source such as Windows Media Player.

The specifications for your system state it's onboard sound (Realtek) and the HP website lists the drivers here:

click here

However, these are quite old drivers. You could try them but, if necessary, visit the Realtek website and download the latest AC '97 sound drivers 9A406 at the last count for the majority of standard (not HD) Realtek sound chipsets:

click here

Stuartli 00:15 25 Oct 09

Should read (AC '97 at the last count)...

Cmdr Vimes 19:57 25 Oct 09

Well, thanks for your good suggestions but unfortunately its not made any difference. Its still all exactly the same.

howard64 09:37 26 Oct 09

try going into the bios and disabling on board sound. Save and exit. Next time you boot up go into the bios again and enable on board sound. This might just switch it back on for you. If this fails beg borrow or steal a pci sound card and stick it in a spare pci slot. This will then elimate it being a motherboard fault on the built in sound chip.

Cmdr Vimes 19:55 27 Oct 09

Thank you. Sorry for the delay responding. I know what you mean but don't know how to do that. Is it from start up or from run?

howard64 11:02 28 Oct 09

from startup and enter the bios possibly hit the del key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5