One router two pcs one wired one wireless

Carafaraday 15:02 29 May 08

I am currently connected via BT Voyager 210 adsl - a wired usb connection which now works fine after several weeks of trouble.
I occasionally connect another pc via an ethernet cable which again works fine.
I am about to buy a laptop and would like to retain the existing wired connection but to be able to somehow link wirelessly from it to the new laptop. Is this possible?

interzone55 15:45 29 May 08

The best way of doing this is to get an ADSL router.

I just bought a Billion 5200G from More Computers
click here

This is quite simple to setup, you give it your ADSL settings and set up a wireless network following the instructions on the disk.

You can then plug your current PCs in to the ethernet ports, and use the wireless connection for the laptop.

Carafaraday 15:54 29 May 08

Thank you for your reply. I am keen to try and retain the existing router if that's possible rather than replace it with a new one. I had a lot of trouble getting the connection to work and don't really want to change it.

Strawballs 22:26 29 May 08

You could get a wireless access point to plug into your router click here but that is going to cost as much as a wireless ADSL router click here

Carafaraday 08:33 30 May 08

Strawballs, thanks that's just what I was looking for. I realise that it's maybe not a clever idea to buy an access point rather than a new wireless adsl router but am nervous about changing from a router that works (mostly) to a new one. I don't suppose anyone has tried using one of these wireless access points, have they?

2neat 12:33 30 May 08

I would ask BT to send you a wireless router FOC.
If they say oh sorry don't think we can do that ask for a MAC code. They will soon send you a new router. I am with Sky and pay £5 per month for BB.
The router was plug and play. They don't take much setting up & you could always plug in your usb device if you needed to.

Carafaraday 12:37 30 May 08

2neat - thank you for that idea. I am not with BT but with Madasafish but the same probably applies to them.
The thing is really that I don't want a wireless router as the wired one is working just fine with my pc. I do, however, want to be able to use this wired router wirelessly with my new laptop and for that I believe a wireless access point might be the answer. I would be very grateful if anyone can help further with this.

Carafaraday 11:23 10 Jul 08

In case anyone is interested, I bit the bullet and got new router (free from Madasafish). PC is ethernet connected and laptop wireless and all works fine.

Strawballs 22:07 10 Jul 08

Not too scarey was it !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now