One PC slows down entire network

KijkEr 07:48 01 Jun 15

I'll describe my situation.

I live in an appartement with one other person. We have a 120Mb/s internet connection. Untill about 2 weeks ago everything went fine and we had no network problems whatsoever. Since then, as soon as I turn on my PC the network slows down to a crawl. The speed goes from 120Mb/s to 1-0.2Mb/s. This happens as soon as I turn on my PC even before Windows has started loading. If my PC is off the network is fine and I don't notice any problems on my laptop or the PC of my housemate. My PC is connected to the modem by a 2,5m long cable.

What I've already tried: - Uninstalling unused software from my PC - A new Windows installation - Resetting the modem - Use a different network cable - Use a different PCI-E network card.

Sadly, nothing has worked so far.

My gues is that it's a hardware defect because the problem shows itself even before Windows laods. That's why I've tried a different network card. I think that either the motherboard or the PSU is causing the problem. My PC is 4 years old and it has been through a lot (LAN parties, moving to a different city, etc.) so I think it's possible that some part of my PC has given up.

My setup: OS: Windows 8.1 Processor: Intel Core I7 2600k Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67 GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870 Solid State Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 1TB HDD RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W Casing: Cooler Master HAF 932

I'm not afraid to change, test or otherwise work with my hardware or BIOS settings. I've got above average computer knowledge, but I can't figure out this problem. I hope that someone can help me!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:06 01 Jun 15

Have you tried removing the network card and using a wireless dongle instead?

KijkEr 11:43 01 Jun 15

No I haven't tried that. I don't have one, I'll go and get one tomorrow to try it. I would prefer to use a cable, because of the stability and higher speeds but if it's the only I problably don't have a choice.

Thanks for the answer!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 01 Jun 15

Tried a different PC express slot on the motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…