One PC connects to internet but other one does not

bemuzed 18:36 02 Jan 05

I am sure there is something obvious wrong here but I cannot spot it. I have two PCs connected via a switch router to broadband. Both were connecting to the internet fine, then one just stopped. I can see it fro the other PC via the switch so the connectivity seems to be there, but when the PC tries to connect to the interent the browser cannot find the site. The PC that connects OK to internet uses IE and Firefox. The other PC uses these browsers and recently installed Netscape. Any ideas please?

bemuzed 18:49 02 Jan 05

any ideas please?

LeadingMNMs 18:51 02 Jan 05

Check your firewall settings and if you've set an IP address manually, whether the DNS server is correct.

bemuzed 18:59 02 Jan 05

Thnaks, but I have not set firewall up on router, but have on PC. Could that be it?

LeadingMNMs 19:13 02 Jan 05

Sorry, I meant a software firewall. Check that it allows data to be sent to the router, and if not add the routers IP address to its trusted zone.

ChrisP 19:33 02 Jan 05

I had a similar problem and sorted it out by checking the Windows Firewall setting on the second computer (I have Windows XP Home with SP2). For a reason I can't explain, the previous setting of 'OFF' had become 'ON' and it was this Firewall that was blocking the Internet traffic to the 'slave' computer. One click, 'Apply', and 'OK' and all was as before.

bemuzed 16:55 03 Jan 05

thanks guys that seemed to solve the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…