this is the one i ment to post, windowsupdate help

blueboy2uk 23:17 14 Apr 07

just went to update my windows xp media centre 2005 the exploror 7 did a search but the page was blank although at the bottom left it said search "done" so i did a search for the file and found it in 5 seconds but it is only a 2kb shortcut with nothing in the file some how it must have been removed how can i replace it any ideas please .

Forum Editor 23:28 14 Apr 07

Replace what - which file are you talking about?

blueboy2uk 00:00 15 Apr 07

when i click on windows update nothing happens the online screen opens it, searchs, but then all i get is a white space where the update page should be, and as i said i did a search in files and folders for the windows update file and found it but it is only a 2kb shortcut with nothing in it so somehow the file has changed so i need to get it back so i can keep my operating system up to date will the file be on my installation disks?
thats the file i am talking about, sorry i did try to explain it best as poss.

birdface 08:37 15 Apr 07

Hi ,Have you tried Control panel, Security Center,And turn Automatic updates on,

blueboy2uk 08:55 15 Apr 07

yes i have and i have also found that my media player is not working too

birdface 09:43 15 Apr 07

Go Into device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your Devices.

T0SH 11:56 15 Apr 07

Try using the XP System Restore feature to go back a few days or a week or so to when it was last working

Cheers HC

moorie- 12:05 15 Apr 07

is this related to your current problems?
click here

ie has update and media player worked since install?

blueboy2uk 21:34 16 Apr 07

i dont thik so as i am almost up to date with the updates it stopped working on thursday last week, no i cant use system restore to go back in time as it was not turned on.no yellow exclamation marks on anything,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now