This is one hell of a forum

mark e 00:34 19 Oct 03

I would like to say you all do a fantasic job.

Keep up the good work.

VoG II 00:36 19 Oct 03

Yep. One heck of a forum. In fact, I think, one of a kind.

powerless 00:36 19 Oct 03

I'll pass your comments onto everyone at HQ.

Djohn 00:37 19 Oct 03

Yep! :o)

Jack D 00:45 19 Oct 03

Yes indeed! Careful use of the delete and lock buttons keep it sterile (as well as humourless).

Djohn 01:18 19 Oct 03

I wouldn't say that PCA have no sense of humour, They let me, VoG and Powerless in! :o)

User-312386 01:28 19 Oct 03

even had a bigger sense of humour letting me in

Forum Editor 01:29 19 Oct 03

"I'll pass your comments onto everyone at HQ"

What's that all about then? Have you joined the staff without me knowing?

Thank you very much mark e.

User-312386 01:45 19 Oct 03

now now FE

Making powerless look rather small aren't we

powerless 01:45 19 Oct 03

...Hey i can hope that one, just one day i'll get the call from PCA.

Oh yes, i will answer...

Forum Editor 01:51 19 Oct 03

The fact about humour is that it's a personal thing - what one person thinks is hilarious won't even raise a smile from another.

Over the life of the forum I've learnt many things, and one of them is that if I leave a humorous post in a thread it will rapidly be joined by another one, and another and so on. Soon there'll be twenty or thirty 'humorous' posts, and they'll exhibit a tendency to move down the taste scale.

Next, I'll start receiving emails - "I thought this was a serious computer forum"

Then I'll delete the offending posts, or close the thread.

Then I'll receive more emails - "What's the matter FE, had a sense of humour failure?"

Then a thread will appear, entitled "Who deleted my post!!!!!!" and a message - "Isn't it sad when we can't have a little light relief and harmless humour...." etc. etc.

You can't win. There are plenty of occasions when the atmosphere lightens up - usually late at night, and usually it's a few exchanges between a few forum members. That's OK, but when things are busy there's no time for it. If you need urgent computer help the last thing you want to see is a thread full of people larking about - there are lots of other forums where that happens all the time, and those are the places to go if you want humorous (and often banal) chat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…