One good reason to leave AOL

folsom 21:56 13 Nov 09

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

And they say it's a good speed........

OTT_Buzzard 22:46 13 Nov 09

Too much to say on that, not enough space to say it!

Are you sure it's AOL, not your PC, router, phone line, cramped test server or the package you're on?

rdave13 23:18 13 Nov 09

When with AOL my speed was a constant 2 meg or within a whisker. Changed to Entanet and getting 3.2 Meg on average. At weekends it sometimes dives down to about 2.
Seem to have more 'dropouts' on my new ISP than AOL. Still I'll see how it goes.
However your second link makes me think that may be something is wrong other than your ISP. Try rebooting router, check your filters and try connecting from the master socket if on an extension lead.

woodchip 23:28 13 Nov 09

Just done a test hear on my HP wireless Laptop Using TalkTalk on a 8meg connection

click here
Download 6300kbps
Upload 696kbps

woodchip 23:29 13 Nov 09

I am 2 mile from the exchange

rdave13 23:31 13 Nov 09

You're making me jealous. Cables take a mile and a quarter from exchange to my house so can't complain.

rdave13 23:32 13 Nov 09

Humph.... :) So my copper wires are older than yours...

woodchip 23:38 13 Nov 09

Only thing I can think is they upgraded some of the cables as it was old ally cable that was on its way out when I was on dial-Up. I also run a Extension Cable from BT socket near front door to My Old 98se Desktop upstairs over 100 ft long without any problems. I think its that I made my own cable up using multi wire telephone cable Splitting it at the BT box two wire for phone and two for BB so I only use one filter at the BT box

rdave13 00:14 14 Nov 09

That's interesting. Unfortunately for me I have a BT 'box' on a window frame installed when Moses was a little child. One screw type just like a junction box. Not to be opened only by BT engineers from what I gather. From that there is a normal BT box which I thought of as 'master'. From the second box (master?) there runs an extension to the bedroom box.
Confusing myself now. Old BT wiring in the house.
No wonder that gizmo, the one that disables the telephone bell wire, was a mystery to me.

rdave13 00:16 14 Nov 09

Apologies for (slightly) hijacking your thread.

wolfie3000 04:13 14 Nov 09

My result.

click here

8Meg, AOL BB, Speedtouch wireless router.

Never had a problem with AOL myself, and iv been with them for many many years now.

Might be your setup at fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced