One for the Excel experts!

Mike D 14:05 02 Dec 03

I have been asked to look at a simple(!) payroll spreadsheet, created in Excel. This is a school task, hencce to need to use Excel, rather than buy a commercial payroll application.

The task asks that an employee identifier, such as a pay number be created for each entry and that, as it is entered, the characters entered are shown as asterisks (as in a password).

There is probably a simple solution, but I am too addled brain to see it.

Mike

Mike D 14:07 02 Dec 03

As you can tell from the spelling!

Torrisdale 14:40 02 Dec 03

Mike - This seems to work in Excel 2000.

You need to format the column for the payroll number.
Click on the column top to select the entire column.
Click on Format and choose Cells.
The Format Cells dialogue box opens – choose Custom at the bottom of the category list. In the Type: box, highlight what’s in there and type in a series of asterisks, then click OK.
Now type a number in the first cell of this column. Press return and the number changes to asterisks.
Click back on the cell full of asterisks and the number you typed in appears on the formula bar.

Simsy 14:48 02 Dec 03

it is fairly simple to change what is in a cell. However, the typed digit would be displayed initially, and I suspect that you do want the underlying "number" not to change, and it is just what is displayed to be asterisks. If so, it is beyond me... though not I suspect others.

I also assume that you wish to be typing into a cell, rather than a form?

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 15:15 02 Dec 03

much easier than mine.... nice one Torrisdale

but it still means the numbers are visible as typed in.

I shall watch this one with interest!

Regards,

Simsy

VoG II 17:29 02 Dec 03

This could be achieved via VBA. I have a password entry routine (written by Juan Pablo Gonzalez) that puts up a dialog box. Characters typed into the box are displayed as asterisks as they are typed. It would be possible to adapt this to write to the current cell.

However, data entry would be extremely tedious, even if using a button to call up the dialog box.

I would have thought that Torrisdale's excellent suggestion should suffice.

Mike D 14:04 03 Dec 03

Torrisdale, Simsy and VoG,

Thanks to all of you. I think Torrisdale could be the winner.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…