One Computer - Two Printers

curly 14:06 15 Apr 03

I run Windows XP(home). I use a colour inkjet printer with a USB connection. I would like to add a mono laser printer for better definition results on text documents.
I would appreciate advice regarding any problems to be considered. Should I arrange for a parallel port connection? Also, how would I direct which printer to be used for printing? etc, etc.

Bebee 14:17 15 Apr 03

There shouldn't be a problem with another USB providing you have the ports. Parallel would be fine too.

Once installed you choose which printer is to be the default printer (printers folder - right-click on the printer icon and and select 'set as default). When you choose print from the file menu in your programs you can choose which printer to use from the drop down menu in the print dialogue - the default will be first in the list.

When you save a document in some programs it saves the print settings aswell and will print to the printer you chose when you saved it.

Good luck - but there should be no problems.

anchor 14:17 15 Apr 03

I have 2 printers, albeit with Win-ME. One is an Epson colour for photos, the other a Samsung laser.

The Epson is USB, and the Samsung parallel port. In control panel, printers, I have set-up the Samsung as default.

When I want to do a colour print, say in Paint Shop Pro, I just change printer selection to the Epson.

DieSse 14:18 15 Apr 03

You can use either a parallel port or another USB port.

You get to choose which printer to print to at the time you print (there is a box with a drop-down at the top of the print window, with all printer types shown).

When you install the printer you get to choose whether to make it the default or not.

You should have no problems at all - but a minor issue will be .... when you change the printer type to print, then close the document, it will ask you if you want to save changes, as documents are stored along with the definition of which printer was used to print them.

curly 14:25 15 Apr 03

Thank you very much for your helpful and timely replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…