onboard vga

3.06 Ghz 20:36 20 Apr 05

I have a MSI 6714 with an award bios. Until now i have never looked in the bios before, but i found something called 'onboard vga' (there is nothing about this within windows, nor is there a monitor thing at the back) It says it enable with 16mb RAM, i already have a radeon x800, should i disable it? does it have any function?

EdFrench 20:49 20 Apr 05

This is what the manufacturer says about the MSI 6714 (845GEM-L)

Video:
Intel Extereme Graphic: Also knowns as DVMT(Dynamic Video Memory Technology), it will assign up to 64MB with total system memory 128MB or above.

That looks like O.B. Vid to me.
If so you can disable it, but if it's not broke - Don't fix it. How much RAM does your system have?
Can you knock the O.B. down to 8Meg if necessary?

3.06 Ghz 21:00 20 Apr 05

i have 1gb ram

EdFrench 21:07 20 Apr 05

I would leave it if your AGP Card is running fine.
Some boards have problems with conflicts when a card is used as opposed to O.B. In this case it seems to work ok. You don't need the ram from the Video chipset.

DieSse 22:41 20 Apr 05

According to the product spec it does have on board video. Can you look again carefully - make sure that one of the sockets that may look like a serial port s not a VGA port (VGA has three rows on holes, serial port two rows).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced