onboard soundcard faulty

nonowtatall 09:20 02 Sep 08

i think my onboard soundcard is faulty as the sound is all distorted and scratchy can i over ride the card and put a new sound card in the tower and is it a simple operation the mother board is a asrock k47 this only happend after doing a clean format and install with windows xp pro sp2

baldydave 10:10 02 Sep 08

Hi,
have you installed the lastest drivers for your board from Asrock since ther install,it might be windows is using generic drivers.
Go the asrock site and download & install all board drivers for your motherboard.

griffon56 12:44 02 Sep 08

Agree with baldydave and also mention that if you've got on-board sound it's probably Realtek AC97 for which there is an update available from realtek.com.

Further, have you had a look at your volume control settings thro' 'Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Audio Tab - Sound Playback volume button', which brings up the multi-channel volume control.

Windows starts up after a reload with everything turned up to max, you might just be overloading your poor little tinny loudspeakers. Turn down the Wave volume control and then adjust the Master to give a better level.

However, I think baldydave is more likely to be right. To check if you've got sound driver problems go to 'Control Panel - System - Hardware Tab - Device Manager button' and click on 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers'.

If there is a question mark against any or all of what's there you need new drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac