Onboard sound vs Soundcard?

pj3 16:35 04 Jan 08

I have a new Gigabyte mobo with Realtek onboard sound. I have no complaints about the sound quality, but does it affect the performance of the PC when running a high end game? Would a dedicated sound card noticably reduce the burden on the PC processor? Thanks for any help.

STREETWORK 16:38 04 Jan 08

Not really, it would need more power, worth updating the drivers tho'. You will get better quality with a dedicated card, but if you are happy with what you got why change it. i am aware that realtec sometimes has an issue with some graphics cards such as ATI...

pj3 16:44 04 Jan 08

I do have trouble sometimes (mainly Windows games) where the PC just freezes, and I have an ATI card with up to date drivers. Maybe worth trying a new card to see. Can you expand any more on these 'issues'.

Stuartli 18:12 04 Jan 08

I've used both Realtek and Creative on-board sound as well as SoundBlaster Live! sound cards - the difference is very marginal with the Creative card having a very slight edge on the bass frequencies.

Because I needed the PCI slot being used by the SoundBlaster Live! I reverted to the Realtek on-board sound and, to be truthful, I don't feel cheated with my IBM 2.1 speaker setup's output quality.

Stuartli 18:12 04 Jan 08

I have an ATi graphics card...:-)

sunny staines 18:17 04 Jan 08

I have audigy 2 sound card and recently built a pc for someone with onboard realtek sound it was as good as the sound card, but the drivers clashed with some microsoft xp updates eventually found a fix on ms kb. the only adv of a sound card is some of the software that comes with it.

citadel 19:17 04 Jan 08

creative gaming cards are excellent and free up the cpu for other things.

Devil Fish 20:04 04 Jan 08

you don't rally give details on your system however i play games on a gigabyte board with realtek on board sound play all games maxed out with no problems

my setup

Gigabyte 965p - DS3 motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6600 processor clocked to 3Ghz
2Gig 800Mhz DDR2 ram
Nvidia Geforce 8800gtx
Realtek onboard sound
Logitec X530 5.1 speakers

Also used for watching dvd's and playing music

laurie53 20:08 04 Jan 08

Took my sound card out last week. No noticeable difference.

FungusBoggieman 20:25 04 Jan 08

pj3
I dont know if it helps but I have a HERCULES Sound Card Muse XL installed in pc but if I want to play games like day of defeat and call of duty I have to disable it and go back to the onboard sound.

pj3 20:53 04 Jan 08

My system is:

XP Pro SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo 2666MHZ (not clocked)
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
2GB Crucial Ballistic RAM
Asus X1950 PRO
Realtek onboard sound

Looks like my problems might be with Realtek/Microsoft drivers. I will have a look at the Microsoft kb like Sunny Staines to see what I can find.
Thanks for the responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…