Onboard sound is silent

Jim Thing 21:41 28 May 05

I'm running a six-month-old Advent system (3400+ Athlon 64, Windows XP Home, loads of HD etc). I'm currently re-installing all my apps and data following a system crash which left me unable to boot, and so (since I had to re-format the HD anyway) I took the opportunity to ditch the OS as supplied by Advent, which only had a Restore CD, and install XP from my own non-OEM CD-ROM instead.

All went well and MS raised no objection to my registering XP twice (although I had expected a question or two at least). However, I've now hit a snag, and I'd value the kind of friendly expert help that is so freely given by the folk on this forum.

The problem is that the playback side of my onboard sound system is dead. I can see the modulation-indicator bar moving as I speak into my mic, but I hear nothing whatever on phones or loudspeakers.

The error message reads:
"Direct Sound test results: Failure at Step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT=0x88780002a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller)".

As far as I'm concerned this might as well be in Greek, and Google et al have so far failed to turn up anything useful. I'm posting here in the hope that some kind person will recognise the problem and offer me a solution, so that I can once again enjoy my weekly webcam chat sessions with my son and grandchildren overseas. My favoured solution would be to install a decent sound card, but I imagine this would invalidate my guarantee (?)

TIA
Jim

VoG II 22:03 28 May 05

Did you reload the motherboard drivers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:03 28 May 05

Everest Home Edition click here to fin what sound system is fitted. yhen search for correct drivers and install.

rdave13 22:08 28 May 05

Have you tried updating sound drivers? Might help.

Jim Thing 23:05 28 May 05

Many thanks, everyone. Everest is showing me two subheadings under Multimedia, namely Windows Audio and PCI/PnP Audio. How can I establish which is the one for me please?

Jim

Jim Thing 08:15 29 May 05

A little trial and error based on your helpful hints eventually produced a driver (SIS 7012 actually) and I'm now happy once again.

Many thanks, everyone. Isn't this a great forum?

Cheers
Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…