Onboard sound problem

northender 20:53 09 Feb 06

Hi, hope someone can help.
I've been running an Evesham Athlon 64 3200 XP for just over a year & it's been bowling along very nicely indeed...until now.
Every now & then, sometimes at intervals of about a minute, sometimes 10 or 20 (completely randomly)the sound cuts out. A red "no entry" icon comes on the volume icon in the system tray & when I right-click it to look at audio properties, the "mute" box has ticked itself in the dialogue box. I un-tick it..everything is fine, until the process repeats itself. The closest equivalent I can think of is a loose wire..it just works intermittently.

I've checked device manager (no yellow exclamations), updated drivers, tried system restore....no effect.

It's frustrating as I use the pc a lot for music. It's still under warranty, but I just wondered if anyone might have any ideas?
Thanks

Totally-braindead 20:56 09 Feb 06

I presume you have antivirus fully updated and use some sort of malware software such as adaware.

northender 21:00 09 Feb 06

Yes, sorry, should have mentioned, AVG as wll as spybot and ad-aware..all updated & run.

Totally-braindead 21:02 09 Feb 06

I'm personally at a loss then, if the sound was stopping then I would think a hardware fault but something ticking the mute box I just don't know.
Hopefully someone else will have the answer.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:07 09 Feb 06

Have you any headphones that you could use during one of these attacks to see if sounds were still available via the phones.

007al 21:07 09 Feb 06

Updating drivers will check to see if there is a newer version,and if there isnt,it wont download.Try installing drivers from the disc if you were supplied one,or downloading them yourself,and installing them.

northender 21:21 09 Feb 06

Hertz...no headphones I'm afraid.

007al...I don't have a disc (seemingly about the only one that wasn't supplied!). I've tried downloading and installing via download.com, but no effect. (would there be a better download site?) Its Realtek AC97.

Thanks for the input folks.

Should I just draw a line under it & put in a soundcard? I enjoy my music, but I'm certainly no audiophile. Is there a discernible difference?

Skills 21:26 09 Feb 06

If theres no problems showing in the device manager when this happens i would lean to a software prob rather than hardware.

Heres the drivers from realtexs site click here try them.

Giggle n' Bits 21:28 09 Feb 06

And see if there are any driver updates offered after a scan.
Also I take it you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed ?

The only otherthing is a 3rd party game locking on maybe conflicting with your onboard audio, some games require 24bit audio, its possbile that one is messing around with your audio settings.

Finally another thing some audio require you to select the channels of how many speakers you have e;g x2 satalites or x2 sat's and a subwoofer.

User-312386 21:28 09 Feb 06

what mobo is it?

Or do you know if it is an nvidia chipset?

007al 21:30 09 Feb 06

Have you looked in DirectX Diagnostic Tool?
Test sound and misic to see if any problems found

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017