Onboard sound?

jimox 07:23 03 Mar 03

mobo=shuttle ak32a.1st diy pc- do i need a sound card or is "on board sound" bog standard but ok for games for now?I loaded the audio device prog and the VIA audio driver from the mobo cd , but i hear nothing if i connect headphones to "line out" & i dont even get the speaker icon on the taskbar (win98se) p.s. i also fitted a new ibm deskstar 40gig HD which squeeks/beeps slightly every 10mins.i know a guy @ work who also has a ibm which does the same - should we return them. Many thanks for any advice - jimbo

MAJ 09:23 03 Mar 03

On-board sound is usually okay, not great but okay, the sound quality will also have a lot to do with the speakers you're using. The volume icon can be placed in the systray by going to Control Panel > Sounds and ticking a little box in there which says "Place volume icon in taskbar". When it appears, make sure you have nothing set on mute in the settings. The headphones should be inserted into the (usually) green socket at the top of your sound outlet.
As for the IBM drives, IMHO, you should take them back and exchange them for Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate drives. IBM drives are notoriously unreliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…