Onboard sound

Annem 16:43 09 Jan 03
  Annem 16:43 09 Jan 03

From your past advice it would seem that onboard sound is not the best. How do I recognise what is NOT onboard sound when sifting through computer specs? I have seen the words "integrated sound": is this the same thing as "dedicated". If not, what description should I look for? What else is needed to support the best quality sound?

Gongoozler 16:54 09 Jan 03

Annem, integrated sound is the same as onboard sound. The only ways you can be certain that the sound is not integrated or onboard is if the spec actually tells you what the sound card is. If you know what the motherboard is, then you can check the spec for the motherboard. Some motherboards now have quite good onboard sound, and in many of them it is quite simple to switch off the onboard sound. If the spec says something like AC97 sound, then it is almost certainly onboard. Onboard sound and onboard graphics tend to be supplied with the cheapest computers because it saves a few pounds in the manufacturing cost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…