onboard sound

femail kitten 18:06 12 Apr 04

Hi. I am using XP operting system. Can anyone help! When the sound is playing, it crackles when playing through a CD Rom. When I play the demo from the puter, the sound is OK. Could this be interference? What can I do to stop the crackling?

anon1 19:34 12 Apr 04

It could be interference, it could also be poor cd, then again have you been inside the cabinet recently? Has this always been a problem or is it a new one. Have you checked the speaker connections? If you have been inside the box then check that the little cable from the cd rom to the motherboard is seated and connected properly.

bananaslik 10:05 13 Apr 04

hi femail kitten just had the same problem with my sony cd rom,tried cleaning the heads but it still didn't work properly.in the end i took it out & tried another rom in 7 it worked fine.treid my old rom in another pc & it still crackled,the cd rom had saw better days & so now resides in the bin(boo hoo it was only two years old)

temp003 11:03 13 Apr 04

If the crackling only applies to one CD, then it may just be a problem with the CD in question.

If it applies to all CDs, but the sound is fine when playing a file on the computer hard disk, then you want to check the connection between the CDROM and the onboard sound card as suggested by anon1. Make sure it hasn't got loose, or try changing the cable.

A possible workaround (but not sure) is in Device manager, double click the CDROM in question, go through the tabs and see if there's an option for enabling digital playback. If so, tick it. Click OK. Restart if necessary, to see if it makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…