OnBoard or Sound Card

PaulB2005 13:09 11 Dec 05

I'm using an Asus A8N-SLi click here and i wanted to upgrade the sound on the PC. Nothing fancy just something to take the load off the CPU. I also have 4.1 Surround Sound Speaker which work fine.

Which would be better? Sticking with the OnBoard "Realtek ALC850, 8-channel CODEC" or getting a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card click here?

hzhzhz 13:36 11 Dec 05

at click here this price, why not.

PaulB2005 13:40 11 Dec 05

Ah OEM. Normally not a problem for me. I was going to get an OEM but it is very difficult to get hold of the drivers for the OEM products online. There website doesn't list the OEM version under drivers downloads and their tech support said "You can buy a CD if you wish"

CurlyWhirly 13:43 11 Dec 05

I have recently bought an Audigy 2 ZS sound card and I would highly recommend them. Excellent sound.

I expect the Audigy soundcard is nearly as good!

PaulB2005 13:46 11 Dec 05

I've had Creative Cards before (PCI 512) which i bought with the speakers and it was good. However it causes BSOD and all sorts of weird problems on my A8N-SLi but works fine on the original PC it was bought for 5 years ago.

Really just wonder if it was an upgrade or a downgrade. Not really an audiophile, occasionally game but just want to free up the CPU from the Sound as i think it's causing some stuttering esp when I'm working and using my Freecom USB DVB-T TV Stick at the same time.

PaulB2005 17:57 11 Dec 05

Think i'll just get it...

Cheers

Stuartli 18:05 11 Dec 05

If your motherboard has a Via chipset(s) sound problems with Creative sound cards are well known.

See:

click here

and

click here

PaulB2005 18:10 11 Dec 05

Cheers but ironically it works fine in my old VIA based PC but not in the nForce4 based one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac