onboard LAN V's PCI LAN (network card)?

second best 15:03 17 Sep 03

hi, i have onboard LAN on a pcchips mobo and i'm having difficulties using internet at 512 (cable b/b). i'm wondering if i would benenfit form purchasing a PCI network card to relpace the onboard. i recently bought a PCI modem (56k)to replace my onboard AMR modem, and my ping decreased from 300 to approx 150. wot do you think?

spikeychris 18:45 17 Sep 03

Don't know what dificulties you are having but the OBLAN should be as good as a £20 PCI NIC.

You will have to Disable the onboard LAN in your BIOS first.

Chris

BeForU 19:23 17 Sep 03

you could try getting new drivers for the onboard lan to see if that helps!

second best 01:00 18 Sep 03

thnxs guys. new drivers i have. thing is, my house mate is sharing the same connection right next room to me. we use a router, brand new linksys i think. anyway he never seems to have a problem. cant help but wonder that he is somehow monopolising the connection.

John-259217 01:21 18 Sep 03

What exactly are the problems you`re having ?

It is possible that a better quality NIC may perform slightly better than some cheaper models but I think its unlikely you would find much difference from your OB as they are normally based on reasonable chipsets to start with.

Your modem upgrade most likely produced an improvement as the AMR modem will probably have been a Win modem. Unlike a "proper" modem these do not handle all the work in connecting and transmitting data themselves, instead they get windows and the machines processor to share the load, which can reduce performance on a hard worked system.

I would suggest you look at some of the sites which check broadband connections and system settings I did have a link to one which I`ll post if I can find it!!! (unless anyone else beats me to it :-)

Gaz W 01:21 18 Sep 03

If your house mate is on the internet at the same time downloading huge files or whatever, I think it would be slower in that case. I can't see how replacing a modem, used for dialup connections, can affect your broadband (ethernet) connection???

John-259217 01:34 18 Sep 03

Here`s one you could try click here

I`d agree with Gaz W about the files too.

Referring to the modem change, I think you just intended to show a comparison of what that change had achieved ?

As Gaz W said it won`t affect your BB connection.

second best 04:05 18 Sep 03

thnxs. of course i was only making a comparrison, the new modem was bought months ago for my 56k account, pings b4 the new modem were averaging 250-300, but after instaling the new conexant pci modem the pings improved to 140-200. i was not saying it had anything at all to do with my bb connection. sorry if i gave that impression. average b/b connection is 30-40 at best, not a problem as such, just when i try to connect to google for instance, the page can often take for ever, or fail completely. however, you would be right in assuming my house mate is d/loading quite a lot a the moment, but i cant be sure that the connection is slow only a these times. as for your comment m73john - 'based on reasonable chipsets to start with'. the pcchips mobo (M810lmr sis 730s chipset)is one of, if not the, cheapest on the market. i could do with some networking tool to mointor and report my connection speed/d.load speeds etc.

also, even if it were the case that my house mate was d/loading huge files, surely i could disrupt his connection speeds, or even he his own. he has a realtek pci modem which i am concidering buying tomorrow. again, if someone can assure me that there is no obvious performance increase with 3rd party vendors to the onboard NIC, i would love to hear your opinion. i visited a local comp shop,and they almost refused to sell me a pci network card, informing me that the onborad nic would most likely be better than any other because it deals directly with mother board. ?????

John-259217 12:07 18 Sep 03

Yes, thats what I thought you meant too.

In relation to the chipset, I meant to refer specifically to the network controller onboard.
I`m not familiar with your board but you will often find that its a Realtek 8139 or similar anyway. You probably already know one way or another but just in case, if you look at the network adapter properties in the device manager it will tell you.

There was a good link, to a site which anaylized your connection and suggested ways to optimize it, posted recently. Unfortunately I forgot to bookmark it - maybe someone else will read this and post it.

Cornel 14:21 18 Sep 03

I have just bought a new computer preloaded with win xp pro unfortunately it did not come with the original os disc just a reset disc. However on opening the wizard I found the "save wizard disc to drive ?" was blanked out and not an option to me.

I emailed microsoft and manufacturer of the pc so far without a reply.

second best 14:50 18 Sep 03

m73john. the nic is (as far as device manager is concerned) SIS 900 pci fast ehternet adapter, although it is not in a pci slot. i trie dthe lin k you gave me but unfortunalty there seems to be a problen with something, as i was trying it there was a 'runtime error' and the program ended. thnxs anyway. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…