Onboard ir

Depakjan 08:48 24 Jun 06

In my bios setting there is a option called onboard ir port.. In that four options are there.. I dont know which to select.. I want to transfer files to my mobile with this.. Is that possible. Why is that ir port for

mgmcc 09:17 24 Jun 06

If the computer is a laptop, it may have a built-in Infrared port. This basically emulates a serial connection over an Infrared link and requires a direct line of sight between the Ir ports in the two devices.

<<< In that four options are there.. I dont know which to select. >>>

You will have to tell us what the available options are ;-)

<<< I want to transfer files to my mobile with this. Is that possible >>>

It may be possible depending on the software available for file transfers between devices. Windows XP uses IrOBEX (Infrared Object Exchange) protocol by default.

Depakjan 07:06 25 Jun 06

The four options are ASKIR, 1.6 uS,3/16 Baud,and disabled.. So how to transfer files to my mobile.. I dont even know where is the ir sensor then how can i keep my mobiles ir near it

mgmcc 11:43 25 Jun 06

Sorry, those options don't mean anything to me. A google search on ASKIR suggests it's an old protocol running at only 2,400 bps; more common would be IrDA which supports 115,200 bps, but you don't have that. You might just have to try the options and see.

The Infrared port normally appears as a block of very dark red (may actually look black) plastic somewhere on the edge of the laptop, probably beside any other ports that are fitted.

ed-0 12:47 25 Jun 06

as if you have a desktop/ tower system and not a laptop.

If this is the case ( excuse pun ) then all you have is an Ir header pin on the motherboard. These where put in so an external Ir sensor could be fitted in to the case or floppy drive bay of the computer. When enabled in the bios they could communicate with outside Ir devices.

If you have a laptop, disregard the above.

Kalb 14:56 25 Jun 06

Yes the laptop has a rectangular 1cmx2cm plastic insert on the side of the laptop with a 'D - ))' mark alongside.
To communicate with a PC (having mainboard with IrDA Infrared module header fitted) you require a USB IrDA Module (Belkin) and drivers.
Once installed and within about six feet of one another the PC and Laptop recognise each other audibly and visibly and files etc can be transferred.
My problem is that since I reinstalled XPHome and SP2 and sundry other upgrades my PC (despite Device Manager showing infrared device & drivers)refuses to recognise my Laptop which keeps on pinging the PC without any response.
Could be the PC drivers are not recognised as 'signed' or whatever by XPHOme

Depakjan 21:09 25 Jun 06

Mine is a desktop pc and i guess i must have some external device or somethin.. So thanks guys

Depakjan 21:16 25 Jun 06

Mine is a desktop pc and i guess i must have some external device or somethin.. So thanks guys

Depakjan 21:18 25 Jun 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 25 Jun 06

Does your phone have Bluetooth? Amuch better wa to transfer and has virtually seen the death of Infra red on phones. You can purchase a USB bluetooth adaptor quite cheaply.

Depakjan 21:19 25 Jun 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…