Onboard Graphics - Can I lend it more RAM

wee eddie 10:38 12 Oct 05

I have a MIniQ PC with a VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266-8235 installed and 1024Mg of RAM.

An S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter], which I think is the Graphics bit, uses 32Mg of shared memory.

The Question:

Is it possible to increase the amount of shared RAM?

If it is, will it make any noticeable difference?

DieSse 11:31 12 Oct 05

Check in the BIOS for the amount of RAM allocated to the graphics adapter.

This is an oldish graphics chip now - it might or might not be able to use more RAM and it might or might not benefit in performance.

If you need more graphics performance out of this older system, look and see if you can fit a seperate AGP graphics card - though I suspect your processor will limit graphics performance too - ao don't go overboard.

Belatucadrus 13:53 12 Oct 05

If it is accessible in BIOS, it may be under the heading "Frame buffer size". click here doesn't apply to your MOBO, but is still worth reading. With 1024Mb, you're not going to suffer any PC performance degradation if you increase the proportion of graphics RAM, but it doesn't appear to achieve that much. Probably best to install a dedicated VGA card if you've got a spare slot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…