OMG Norton internet Security is RUBBISH!!!

dave726587 00:24 04 Oct 06

Ive been using Norton for the last couple of years and thought it was good software, but i recently reas an articale on the net that said it takes up 35% of your cpu and slows down your computers boot time. Today I unistalled it and changed to avg free anti-virus and zonealarm free firewall. The things that got better were:
My computer was so much faster
My computer booted up faster.
and this is the one that realy got to me, my internet page loading and downloading speeds were SO MUCH FASTER!!

I cannot believe i even paid for that crap software when i could have used free software and hat a faster machine.

I have a question though
Are the 2 prducts i said that im using now reliable and hav good protection?

thanks for reading this.

skidzy 00:36 04 Oct 06

AVG and Zonealarm work well together and use no where near the resources Norton uses.

Im sure you will be ok with these two now,very reliable and stable.

johnnyrocker 00:36 04 Oct 06

i have no issue with AVG which is a long time favourite but because of continual vector issues on ZA i elected for sygate firewall which has not to date let me down
regards

johnny.

dave726587 00:39 04 Oct 06

What do you mean by vector issues
thanks

wolfie3000 02:18 04 Oct 06

"OMG Norton internet Security is RUBBISH!!!"

99% of computer users know this already,
Dont get me wrong its effective at its job but just a shame it takes over your pc.

Chrisann 12:43 04 Oct 06

Well I am glad I got rid of Norton on my old comp. The new comp comes with a free 60 day trial package..but hey I.m not even going there!! It completely took over my comp..to the point where Iwas virtually at a stand still...so never again for me.

I use Avast etc. and up to now no problems at all..and it is free..so will go with that on my new set up.

Chrisann..

Koochy 12:54 04 Oct 06

Norton (spit) I don't even like the thought of using the name as i am scared the nightmares will start all over again I have been using Mcafee for the past 2 years and it wasn't too bad but i have now been using ( as advised by people in this forum) AVG free edition and Zone alarm for about 6 months now and i find they work very well together and are very easy to use and up to now have had no problems with either .

Koochy

dave726587 19:06 04 Oct 06

Hi again, can anyone reccommend a free pop up blocker?

thanks

Jak_1 20:13 04 Oct 06

click here

It's free.

JanaMan 20:16 04 Oct 06

Norton is gayyyyy

Jimmy14 20:23 04 Oct 06

QUOTE "but i recently reas an articale on the net that said it takes up 35% of your cpu and slows down your computers boot time. Today I unistalled it and changed to avg free anti-virus and zonealarm free firewall. The things that got better were:
My computer was so much faster
My computer booted up faster.
and this is the one that realy got to me, my internet page loading and downloading speeds were SO MUCH FASTER!!"

First of all 35% of your cpu usage is the biggest joke I've ever heard. If you want me to show you or anyone my cpu usage being below 10% at all times I will to prove that norton is not a system hog. My laptop is high spec but copes with norton fine and my laptop isn't slowed down at all. Total lies. Doesn't slow down my boot time at all. My laptops boot time is at the most a minute and I will gladly prove this as well.
If you are saying that your computer is so faster then your computer specifications must be low because my laptop is highly responsive as it is.

QUOTE "I cannot believe i even paid for that crap software when i could have used free software and hat a faster machine."

If you think its "crap" then you obviously havn't used it to its potential and the way its supposed to run. Think about the term "free software" for a moment.

QUOTE "I have a question though
Are the 2 prducts i said that im using now reliable and hav good protection?"

reliable definitely not and good protection I will leave you to figure out. Maybe your term "crap" should be applied to these so called shields.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced