olympus digital recorder VN-240PC

Rabi 01:21 01 Nov 04

Got a brand new Olympus VN-240PC digital voice recorder. This is the model that allows you to up-load your digital voice recordings to a PC, which is the reason I got it.
CD-Rom that came with the recorder is broken, so can't load the software.
When I connect the recorder to a PC running Win XP, it identifies that there is digital recorder connected. Windows XP seems to have no installation files for this, so I can't install the software, i can't upload the voice files on to my PC.
Olympus USA have been no help, just sending me repeatedly a link to download a PDF copy of the user manual, which is just 6 pages and does NOT address anywhere how to transfer the audio files.
Very surprising, 'cos the manual, brief as it is, explains every other aspect very clearly and is easy to nuderstand.
It just does NOT cover how to transfer the audio files.
Would someone help, with info on how to transfer the audio files, and anyone know where I can get a copy on the internet of the software that I need? It's not on the Olympus site that I can see.

Diodorus Siculus 07:44 01 Nov 04

click here - is there any software here for you?

Rabi 10:27 01 Nov 04

Thank you, Diodorus,
Have downloaded DSS Player Lite and installed it.
Programme opens okay, ready to run, but when I connect the VN-240PC, my PC is asking for the digital voice recorder to be installed. It can't find any installation files in XP or on my hard disk, and asks for an installation disk.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there some other software I need in addition to the DSS Player?

Thank you in advance for your response and help.

Diodorus Siculus 13:40 01 Nov 04

Sorry, I can't help with that - I don't know the program. Anything on the olympus.com site?

Rabi 16:36 01 Nov 04

NO, their web is not helpful. They have a good product, but ...
I sent them an email asking if the VN-240PC was Mac compatible, I got a no as an answer. No mention of 2 of their new models which are advertised as Mac compatible...
Then I go the site you mentioned, and among the software you can download for the VN-240PC, is a Mac version of the software ... I emailed asking if the unit was not Mac compatible, why there was a Mac version of the software ready for download on the VN-240PC page, and I have not received a reply ...!

If any one can help me out, I would be grateful; I am in Africa, and the Cd that came with the package is broken, so I really need to solve this via the internet.
Or could someone point me in the direction of a realy good pro-active forum (like this one ...!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…