Older TFT monitors? DVI versus VGA?

John Ross 22:23 08 Aug 09

I am being offered a Dell Ultra Sharp 1703FPt TFT monitor for £40-50. I would like a 17 inch monitor with a DVI connection like this, albeit I have always used VGA before. However, this monitor is going to be a few (5?) years old by now : see

click here;psum

I wonder how much progress has left behind a 5 year old monitor and whether anyadvantage gained by a DVI connection is lost by the fact better monitors are now out there ?
If this is not a great buy then do you have any suggestions for a cheap good quality 17 inch monitor with DVI, new or seconfhand?
Thank you!

birdface 08:04 09 Aug 09

You can buy a new 17" monitor from £60 upwards nowadays with 1 or 3 years warranty.So probably cheaper in the long run buying a new one.

John Ross 12:07 02 Sep 09

I ended up buying a secondhand :
17 inch Dell Ultrasharp monitor with DVI,
17 inch widescreen Viewsonic monitor with VGA only

and continuing to use mu old VGA only Fujitsu screen.
The Dell was disappointing on VGA but good on DVI, particularly for movies/videos/colour. It is lower contrast, but in some ways seems more accurate as a result.
It shows up the Fujitsu, which seems to bright and colours look false now when both are next to each other running multiscreen.
The Viewsonic is in a different room for the children. The colours, print sharpness and the 17 inch widescreen format are all excellent, especially for the chidlren, woring with documents/text and watching DVDs.
Some thoughts :
1. As the Viewsonic is easily the newest of the three I guess the moral is DVI is good, but some newer monitors are better, even if they are VGA.
2. There are some very good monitors out there going very cheap, especially if you are happy with 17 inch.
3. When running two screens side by side with extended desktop 17 inch is a more than adequate screen size, and I am finding it much more useful than one 20+ inch screen (as well as cheaper).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now