Older monitor not working on XP

SPARKY 22:49 21 Feb 05

Having changed my spare PC to XP and still wishing to use the old monitor, upon windows starting, the screen is all shaky with lines and three of everything.
Using my current monitor it will start up all ok.
A while ago I loaded a Sims game to my sisters PC and when I tried to run that the same thing happened, but I cured that by adding a space in the target line to make it run in a window instead of full screen and all was ok. I assume this current problem is similar, but I do not know how to fix it.
Has anyone any ideas
Thanks
Sparky

FelixTCat 23:03 21 Feb 05

Like most other bits of hardware, monitors need drivers so that XP can translate a program's output to something that the hardware can understand. Modern monitors are plug-and-play and XP can load the correct drivers automatically.

Older monitors may not be able to do this, so you have to select the drivers. Right-click on a blank part of the desktop and click Properties - Settings - Advanced - Monitor - Proerties - Driver - Update Driver. Click No, not this time - Next - Install from a list - Next - Don't search - Nextand then go or a basic monitor. If the monitor is badged, you might find a specific driver for that make.

octal 23:05 21 Feb 05

It sounds like a resolution problem. you might have to go into safe mode to change it. Reduce it to 800X600 and also check the frame rate, it might be set too high for the monitor, if its set to 75Hz try reducing it and try again.

dan11 23:08 21 Feb 05

The settings you had for your previous monitor are probably to high.

Connect the previous monitor and adjust the settings. e.g.

right click desktop > settings > then move the slider down to 800 x 600 > then change the colour quality to 16 bit.

Also while you are there select > advanced > monitor > screen refresh rate. Drop this down to it's lowest level, about 60Hz.

Switch off the computer, connect the old monitor and boot up. It should work.

You can then adjust the settings to best the monitor can support.;-)

SPARKY 23:16 21 Feb 05

Thanks everyone, I have already tried settings and resolution, but I haven't tried a basic driver. I will play again tomorrow and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…