Older computer

aitch2 12:12 19 Jul 06

My older computer is a P2-400Mz, with 256MB, 30HDD based on an Intel 440BX motherboard. It has an A-Drive, DVD re-writer and a CD-ROM, a Zip100 drive+ethernet.Been running Win98-SP2 but I am now wondering as to the practicality of upgrading to a new motherboard and HDD( the existing one is starting to go). Is it worth it or are there better options for a compltely new base unit incorporating the drives etc? Possibly use it for some video editing. Any guidance much appreciated.
Aitch

Gongoozler 12:27 19 Jul 06

Hi aitch2. Economically you would probably be better advised to buy a new base unit, but I must admit that I haven't bout a computer since mine was new in 1995. Since then I have upgraded so many parts so many times that there is nothing of the original remaining. In the process of multiple upgrades I have learned an enormous amount about computers to such an extent that to family and friends I'm considered to be an "expert". If you fancy a challenge go for an upgrade, but if you want an easy solution with a warranty, then buy a new computer or base unit.

Gongoozler 12:31 19 Jul 06

To put costs in perspective, have a look at the price of a barebones system click here, or a complete base unit click here

chub_tor 12:38 19 Jul 06

The 440BX doesn't use DDR memory as far as I remember so you can salvage the case - the Floppy - the DVD re-writer - the CD ROM - the ZIP100 (ugh) - the ethernet card if it's PCI - and the 30Gb hard drive. You can start with a motherboard/cpu bundle add some memory and go from there. If you like front USB you might go for a new case as well.

Gongoozler 12:44 19 Jul 06

For video editing you want a large hard drive (300G or more?) and as much memory as you can afford, at least 1G. A fast processor will help and a reasonably good graphics card but nothing too exotic - they are for gamers.

sean-278262 12:47 19 Jul 06

With the prices on todays base units

click here

AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ Processor
with HyperTransport™ Technology
Genuine Windows® XP Home
ASUS A8N-VM PCI- X Mainboard
512MB DDR 400 Memory
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
128MB NVIDIA Geforce 6100 Graphics
17" TFT LCD Monitor with
Multi Media, Digital & 8ms response time
Super Format(+R/-R/RW/RAM) DVD Writer
5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Logitech Desktop KB & Optical Mouse
Classic Warranty-3Years parts & lab. Gr. Icon
£ 307.96 inc VAT

It is more cost effective to just get a new system and sell the old one. You can do better than that as well for price.

click here

click here

click here

Go for a new unit in my opinion. You could even take the parts from your current system and recycle them into the new system.

A

keef66 15:26 19 Jul 06

forget it. Buy a new base unit. Don't even think of adding any of your old components to it.

Belatucadrus 15:41 19 Jul 06

Or if the CPU/MOBO package does everything you want, just buy a new hard drive. Video editing would probably bring it to it's knees though , so a new base unit may be on the cards.

aitch2 14:08 20 Jul 06

Thanks eveyone, much appreciated for all help and advice,
Aitch

Gongoozler 09:45 21 Jul 06

Aitch2, just to satisfy our curiosity, when the time comes let us know what your final decision is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…