Old 'Your PC is Infected' Scam again

geedad 17:32 19 May 11

I have, for the second time this week, received an email purporting to be from my son, with many CC emails, some known to me,but it is NOT genuine. I have checked with my son, and he tells me that on no occassion has he recently sent me an email. The first time, I DID open the email, and suddenly saw an application running all over my PC, informing me that I had many dangerous viruses, and I should run a scan to rid my PC of these, and of course, to buy the Anti-Virus Programme! I did delete it instantly, and that seemed to be the end of it,but about an hour ago, a new fake email from my son appeared again. I have sent it to my JUNK email folder, and then deleted it, as I did before, but I am a little apprehensive because of the potential nuisance this can cause. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, with AVG (free) and SuperAntiVirus (free) installed. I also use Ccleaner almost every day. I have been helped by our Forum with exactly the same problem some time ago,and I am seeking advice again about what action I should now take. geedad

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 19 May 11

I am seeking advice again about what action I should now take. geedad

Ther is nothing else you can do other than delete e-mails without opening them if you think they are Scam.

Your son's e-mail address has obviously been cloned - it might be worth him doing a full set of AV and Antimalware scans to be sure his PC is clean.

geedad 19:33 19 May 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thanks,again, Fruit Bat /\0/\, I have now done that and keep my fingers crossed! geedad

tullie 19:52 19 May 11

Tell your son to change his password.

geedad 10:05 20 May 11

tullie Fruit Bat /\0/\ Forgot to mention that many of the CCs insertions were from my 'Contacts' list. Also the "message" in the email was a .com (http://) website with a silly name - dinghies-daysailers/surprise2011 - then .html. Yes, that was the spelling! Of course, I did not click on it! Thanks, tullie. geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced