old xphome onto new pc with xp pro

joeltr 13:35 24 Feb 05

my old pc broke down last year,so i bought a new system,i got a very good deal, it came with xp-pro installed as part of the deal,i was wondering if my xp-home edition on my old pc can be installed onto my new machine, it was a new pc from tiny in 2001, but all that came with it was a restore cd, there is a number on my old case which i kept,if it is possible, how do i go about it?, thanks, joel.

Technotiger 13:44 24 Feb 05

Hi, if your new system came with xp pro installed then you should also have the xp cd or at least a repair cd with it. I personally cannot see any reason for wanting to install xp home over xp pro - unless I am missing something?
Just my opinion anyway.

TomJerry 13:46 24 Feb 05

firstly, what is point to install it if XP Pro already in place

secondly, restore CD will wipe everything if it works, but it will not normally work for different PCs or different hardware configuration

if your old tiny had it, just bin restore CD with it

ventanas 13:55 24 Feb 05

And, the disc supplied with your Tiny pc will be OEM, and cannot legally be installed on any other PC. Also as TomJerry says, it won't work anyway.

xania 13:55 24 Feb 05

You cannot install your old XP onto the new PC for two reasons. In the first place, the old version is licenced only for the first PC and you are not permitted you transfer this. Secondly, your install CD will cover only the motherboard components of your old PC, so, unless you move that mobo and all the other attachments to your new PC, it just won't work.

In some cases Microsoft will allow an installation to transfer from one PC to another, but you must have a full Install CD for this - not a recovery CD.

joeltr 16:05 24 Feb 05

sorry for delay, i think i will leave well alone, it was just a thought after reading somewhere that someone had two operating systems on one pc, thanks again, joel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…