Old work laptop wont let me load drivers at home.

earthstrider 19:25 06 Sep 12

My last company liquidated and I’ve inherited my old work laptop. It’s a good machine running Windows 7 Prof but I’m having problems as I can’t load drivers for my camera, iPhone, etc. at home. I strongly suspect that this is something to do with the pc once being part of a server group (there is still showing a group of network locations I (obviously) can’t access) and this is stopping normal ‘stand alone’ functions. I’m strictly an end user so can anyone let me know if I can remove the network references to allow me to use the machine as normal?

KRONOS the First 19:45 06 Sep 12

Would it not have been better to have completely wiped the laptop and installed fresh copy of Windows 7 Prof? If you have the COA number but not a setup disk it can be downloaded.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 06 Sep 12

What error message?

Right click driver and select run as administrator

woodchip 22:37 06 Sep 12

I think this will be down to the Old IT department putting a Admin lock on it, to sop modifications. It may need as above a clean sweep

Secret-Squirrel 08:22 07 Sep 12

"I’ve inherited my old work laptop......but I’m having problems as I can’t load drivers for my camera, iPhone, etc."

The first thing you need to do is to ensure your user account has admin privileges so try this:

Click the Start button and choose "Control Panel". Top-right of the Control Panel window, ensure the "View By:" option is set to "Large Icons" then click the "User Accounts" icon. Next, make sure your account is selected, click the "Change your Account Type" link and make sure it's set to "Administrator".

Unfortunately for you, as hinted at by Woodchip, most corporate laptops are heavily locked down to prevent end users from installing new programs and drivers, and from making other system changes so my advice above may not work.

Strawballs 11:55 07 Sep 12

Before you can do a clean install you need to check if they have put a password on the bios because if they have you will not be able to set to boot first from optical drive (DVD) so won't be able to boot from the windows disc.

earthstrider 10:48 10 Sep 12

Thanks all - very usefull. It turns out that although I have admin rights my old company protected things and put on a password. I've tracked down our old IT administrator so should be on the right track to get things fixed. Many thanks for putting me on the right track.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…