Old windows

Poshlad 15:01 31 Jul 07

Hi.
I brought a PC second hand a few months ago. But the system is running Windows 95. And the word program doesn’t even come on (which is why i got the computer). Is there anybody who could Please Loan or give me, there unused copy of Windows 98/2000,ME or any windows program. If there using Vista now. It would be much appreciated.
Please Help...

Ps. I’ve heard about Linux, (What is it & is it any good -does that mean typing HTML type language (I’ve looked at a book in the library, about Linux) into the computer)

HCOOH 15:24 31 Jul 07

Bid for a kosher disc if you get no luck elsewhere
click here

acxxxx 15:27 31 Jul 07

You can buy this one straight away

click here

Kate B 15:40 31 Jul 07

Windows doesn't come with Word - you'd have to buy it separately, though you could of course use the free OpenOffice click here - though check that it can run on whatever version of Windows you end up installing.

Before you start upgrading the PC, though, you'll need to make sure it can cope with the more demanding operating system. It's probably an old computer so you might be better off putting the much less demanding Linux on it - which will also have no problems with OpenOffice.

woodchip 22:58 01 Aug 07

If you download a Linux Live CD use NERO to create the CD it will load linux from the CD not to the Hard drive, And will give you all other office applications you need plus some games. you can try to see what’s best click here

You could try the third one down, or Ubuntu

You just start with the CD in the Drive, You need to set BIOS to boot from CD

Totally-braindead 23:07 01 Aug 07

Kate B is right, Word is a seperate programme its not part of windows. You need to buy either Word, Works or Office. Or as suggested try OpenOffice.

Belatucadrus 01:46 04 Aug 07

If you do decide to try OpenOffice on a W95 system, don't use version 2.2, get the older 1.0.3.1 click here
Not as good, but a bit easier on System Resources.
Or if you only want a word processor try AbiWord click here or Jarte 2.6 click here .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now