Old type floppy 744mb

Trackrat 16:40 13 Dec 03

Afriend of mine has just had an all singing all dancing computer with xp home OS.
He puts one of his old floppies in and it brings the foldewr up but will not open the folder.
It is one of the old floppies (744mb) is their a way to copy these files onto a cdrw.
Regards Alan

Chegs ® 16:49 13 Dec 03

If you check in the BIOS,it might have the various sizes of floppy,I bought a boxful of floppys at a puter fair,all 740kbs,setting BIOS to this size allowed me to use them.

DieSse 17:37 13 Dec 03

Windows should be able to read 720Kb floppies directly without any changes. I just checked an old one, and it worked just fine.

You should only change the BIOS if you actually fit a low capacity drive.

Try just copying the contents to the hard drive before you do anything with them.

Trackrat 19:33 13 Dec 03

Chegs & DieSse, thanks for the answers I will tick this as resolved because if xp will read 720kb floppies then that leaves my friend several options to extract the files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…