old Sony camcorder

geedad 20:24 16 Aug 06

My son has given me an old Sony 8mm camcorder. I don't know whether this Forum could help, but is there an 8mm cassette adapter to use in a standard VCR player?
geedad

2556055 20:35 16 Aug 06

As far as I know there is not such a gadget (there is for other formats but not 8mm). My sony camcorder has just given up the ghost but prior to that I purchased a gadget called VideoSafe from Misco.co.uk which allows you to transfer video8 from your camcorder to dvd or vcd. It will also allow you to transfer videos from your video recorder to dvd or vcd. It costs 34.99 plus postage. This might be the answer to your problem

SANTOS7 20:37 16 Aug 06

click here
this may help, might be worth contacting them just to confirm it will take 8mm..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 16 Aug 06

THERE IS NO 8mm/VHS ADAPTER! 8mm/Hi8/miniDV tapes cannot, under any circumstances, be played in a VHS VCR.

How 8mm/miniDV Is Different From VHS

There are several reasons why 8mm (or Hi8 and miniDV tapes) cannot be physically played in a VHS VCR:

1. 8mm (Hi8, miniDV) is a different format with different technical characteristics than VHS. These formats were never developed with the intention to be mechanically compatible with current VHS technology.

2. 8mm/Hi8 tapes are 8mm wide (miniDV is 6mm wide), while VHS tape is 1/2" wide, making it impossible for a VHS video head to read the taped information correctly.

3. 8mm/Hi8/miniDV tapes are recorded and played at different speeds than VHS, so even if the tapes could physically fit into a standard VHS VCR, the VCR still couldn't play back the tapes at their correct speeds.

4. 8mm/Hi8/minDV audio is recorded differently than VHS. 8mm/Hi8 audio is recorded in AFM HiFi mode, while miniDV audio is recording in 12-Bit or 16-Bit PCM digital audio format. So, even if the video could be played back in a VHS VCR, the audio could not be read properly.

5. 8mm/Hi8 video is of higher resolution than VHS and is recorded in a different bandwidth length (miniDV video is recorded digtially), so once again, a standard VCR still could not read the information correctly, even if the tape could fit into a VCR.

woodchip 20:40 16 Aug 06

You should be able to play and copy from the camera through Video recorder. to VHS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 16 Aug 06

o transfer your 8mm/Hi8/miniDV tape to a VCR, just follow the following steps:

1. Make sure you plug the camcorder directly into the VCR and NOT the TV. In addition, you have to make sure that your switch your VCR from its tuner to its AV inputs in order get the signal from those inputs to record on tape. This is done with either an input select button on the VCR's remote or front of the VCR. Also, some VCRs allow you to access the AV inputs by changing the channel selection up or down until you reach AV, line, or video in.
If your VCR has both video inputs on the front and back of the VCR, the back inputs would be line one, AV1, Aux1, or video 1 and the front inputs would be line 2, AV2, Aux2, or video 2.

2. Plug the Audio/Video cables supplied with with the camcorder to the AV outputs of the Camcorder to the AV inputs on either front or back of the VCR, switch the VCR to AV-in, Line-in, or Aux in (depends of brand).

3. Put the tape to be copied in the Camcorder, and also put a blank tape in the VCR.

4. Press play on the Camcorder, then press record on the VCR and you will be able to copy your tape.

4. When your recording is done, stop the VCR and the camcorder.

5. After you have done this successfully and are able to play back the recording, (make sure your TV is set on the channel or input you normally watch your VCR on - change your VCR back to access its tuner so you can record regular TV shows later, if desired.

In addition to the above steps, check the owner's manual of either your Camcorder or VCR; there should be a page on copying your tapes or copying from one VCR to another (which is the same procedure). You can also watch your tape on TV at the same time it is being copied, just leave the TV set on the channel or input that you normally do when watching a video tape. Lastly, if you now own a standalone DVD recorder, you can also copy your tapes to DVD using the above process as you would with a VCR.

Copying or dubbing your camcorder tapes gives you the opportunity to cut out those boring parts and mistakes. You can send the polished copy to a friend or relative or just keep it for your own viewing. In fact, since 8mm/Hi8/miniDV are higher resolution formats than VHS, you will make better tape copies onto VHS. Every time you copy a tape you lose quality, the better quality the source material, the better the copy.

Use this analogy: When you buy a movie at your local video store and play it on your VCR it looks much better than if you had taped that same movie off of TV. The reason: the source of the tape is a direct copy of a studio master, whereas that same master broadcast over cable or the airwaves is degraded from TV transmission aritifacts, then by the time you copy the movie, you not only copy the movie but any transmission defects along with it. Think of a tape recorded in 8mm/Hi8/miniDV as similar to a copy from a studio master and the tape copied from another VHS master as being copied from lower resolution source material.

geedad 23:52 16 Aug 06

Fruit Bat /\0/Thanks for all the info regarding the camcorder.
One of the problems with your suggestions is that since the camcorder is quite old, the leads are what one would only describe as a bit dated!
The socket on the CC is 3 pin one, and the male plug fits to this with the other end ending in a male TV input cable. I DO have a DVD recorder with inputs rear and front, but the CC leads do not fit.
The colours of the socket on the CC are : black (audio out) and yellow (video out), with a central one (RFU DC out)and, as stated the cord ends up as a single lead similar to an RF TV input.
So, I understand what you have explained but need further advice about the type of connection required.
geedad

terryf 00:05 17 Aug 06

Have you done a google for the manual for the cam-corder? that is if you don't have one already

De Marcus™ 00:16 17 Aug 06

model number of cc?

geedad 08:11 17 Aug 06

terryf
De Marcus™
I have requeted a manual from Sony, hoping that they may help. but I will also try Google, thanks.
The Sony Model No. is CCD-TR202E Video 8 format.
geedad

woodchip 10:54 17 Aug 06

Manual £7.50 click here

Download click here;forward=plist

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…