Old software vs Windows XP Professional 64

prich48 14:02 05 Aug 05

Just bought a new machine with Windows XP Professional 64 installed. However when I tried to install old several software applications from CDs I keep receiving an error message saying the programme is designed for another machine. The software refuses to autorun (Quake 3 is one of the culprits.) They all worked fine on an older Windows 98 machine.

Has anyone else come across this problem or can suggest a way forward? The company I bought the computer from also sold me incompatible antivirus software (it has compatibility issues apparently)and are not proving very helpful at present.

Cheers

Klof Ron 15:05 05 Aug 05

You are paying the price suffered by all "Early Adopters" in that some programmes written for 32 bit operating systems will not run on 64 bit machines, in much the same way as some DOS applications simply refuse to work in Windows XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…