old programs on XP?

jack 14:00 09 Aug 04

June issue of PCa gave us '50 ways to get the most..' Item 25 tells how to get an old application running in XP.

Here is my problem
I tutor a goup of Silver Hairs in 'Digital Dark Room and Digi Cam' matters
We use as a tutoring base Photo Suite 4 - its old but it is one we all have in common
[including the guy with the latest Photoshop, who will keep banging on about its wonders]

However when I treated my self to XP Pro - Photosuite ran for a while, then started to pass missing file messages, then ultimately, opened to its 'get' screen but collapsed to desktop when a graphic was clicked on.
I have taken it out and attempted to reload several times, but it simply does not complete. and a search reveals no files on the system.

So the problem is- How do I get an old program like this back on and running?

TBH1 14:06 09 Aug 04

if you have a shortcut to this on your desktop, right-click it, select properties then compatibility - -select the system you want it to run with ie w95, w98. Not sure if this works if you select actual program as opposed to shortcut.

jack 14:13 09 Aug 04

This is exactly the advice in '50 ways'.
However the program is no longer in the machine
and will not install - it simply goes so far then stops

ventanas 14:24 09 Aug 04

Might be some rubbish left behind from the previous attemps to install. See if there is still a folder for it, or any registry entries, and get rid of them.

However I had a similar problem, a program crashing to the desktop (shutting down) when trying to open a file. Compatibility mode had no effect. The only option was to get a later version. And it wasn't cheap.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:29 09 Aug 04

Regseeker click here

clean out the registry and try and reload then do the compatibility thing before restarting the program

Cook2 20:29 09 Aug 04

PhotoSuite 4 works fine with XP Home, no compatibility problems.

Cook2 20:29 09 Aug 04

PhotoSuite 4 works fine with XP Home, no compatibility problems.

bruno 23:06 09 Aug 04

I have been running Photosuite 4 in XP Pro for a couple of years with no trouble at all.

woodchip 23:26 09 Aug 04

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Photosuite click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Photosuite in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Photosuite and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Photosuite then reboot your computer.

Now copy the software from the CD or what have you, To the Desktop. Restart and keep pressing F8 to get to safe mode then when you get back to windows run setup from the desktop setup file, then restart computer into normal mode

Strawballs 00:08 10 Aug 04

download and run this and remove anything to do with photosuite (don't worry it makes a backup if you remove any thing that causes you problems reinstall)click here

jack 09:21 10 Aug 04

Old programs on XP

Done it!
Thanx for you the suggestions guys- the down loads and all, although I found Reg. Cleaner on a PCA disk did it whilst the others only promised to do it if you coughed up beer tokens.
Now I can stop those old crumblies bleating,
Though I did promise them it was time for a change to a proper program like PSP in September,[Which should shut up the Photoshop bleater I hope] Though knowing some who do not like change and will not rise to a challenge will still be asking about PS4.
Thanx once more

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…